Although food and nutrition are often used as synonyms are actually different terms as:
- Nutrition refers to the nutrients that make foods and comprises a set of involuntary phenomena occurring after ingestion of food, ie, digestion, absorption or passage of blood from the digestive tract of the components or nutrients, and its assimilation into the body’s cells. Nutrition is the science that examines the relationship between diet and health. Dietitians are health professionals who specialize in this area of study, and are trained to provide dietary advice.
- The feed comprises a set of voluntary and conscious acts are directed at the choice, preparation and ingestion of food, phenomena closely related to the socio-cultural and economic environment (environment) and determine, at least in large part, dietary habits and lifestyles.
Many common diseases and their symptoms often can be prevented or alleviated with good nutrition; therefore, the science of nutrition attempts to understand how and which specific dietary aspects influence health.
The purpose of the science of nutrition is to explain metabolic and physiological response of the body to diet. With advances in molecular biology, biochemistry and genetics, the science of nutrition is to deepen the study of metabolism, investigating the relationship between diet and health from the point of view of biochemical processes. The human body is made of chemical compounds such as water, amino acids (proteins), fatty acids (lipids), nucleic acids (DNA / RNA) and carbohydrates (for example sugars and fiber).
Adequate nutrition is that covers:
- Energy requirements through the metabolism of nutrients such as carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
- These energy requirements are related to basal metabolic expenditure, expenditure for physical activity and diet-induced spending.
- The needs of non-energy micronutrients like vitamins and minerals.
- The proper hydration of the consumption of beverages, especially water-based.
- Sufficient dietary fiber intake.
Dietary goals are represented by different graphic resources, one of them is the food pyramid.